It’s 2020 baby! There are so many different ways to make money online, one of which is to start your own business. If you are looking for a post on different ways to make money online, click here to read my post 25 Ways You Can Work From Home. In this post I am going to outline how to start your own business. I am going to touch base on marketing strategy, finding your ideal clients and a bunch of other stuff.
*this post contains affiliate links, which means that I may make a small commission if you make a purchase
Hi, welcome to my blog. My name is Tori and I am an online Mindset and Business Coach. I help women un-fuck their mindset and show up online so that they can run a successful business. I realized after running my business for a few years and barely making any headway that there was a piece missing. I was making sales, but not consistently and I would stress myself out wondering where the next client was coming from. On paper, it looked like I was doing all the right things but I was chasing the clients away with my negative ass energy. So I took a year off of business to really figure out who I was and what I wanted to be doing with my life. I made mastering my mindset my first priority and things just started clicking for me. Now I help other women do the same.
So how do online businesses make money?
Well you know brick and mortar stores have products that they sell. Well online businesses have the same, but having an online business gives you more streams of income. Sometimes online businesses have a physical product like an item that can be shipped to your door, but sometimes they are digital items, like courses or workbooks. Online businesses can also make money from affiliates. Being an affiliate just means that when someone makes a purchase from the link that you used, then the affiliate gets a commission.
Okay, now that you get the basics, or I just confused the F out of you, let’s dive in, here is how to start an online business.
- Create a business that fills a need. (But also make it something that you can see yourself doing for awhile ie: passionate about because business is hella hard). Find a gap in the market. What are people NOT teaching? Where could your services be best suited, etc. If you are not sure what you want to do but you KNOW deep down in your soul that you want to work online, I recommend freelancing. Seriously. You get to dip your toes in all kinds of projects and it will help you figure out exactly what you do and don’t want to do. I started freelancing on Fiverr, doing odd jobs to see what I liked and what I didn’t like while blogging on the side. There are tons of other freelancing sites as well, such as UpWork.
2. Get the legal shit out of the way. I would have put this first, but obviously you need to figure out what you want to be doing with your business before hand. You can go through LegalZoom to register your business as an LLC, S Corp and they have tons of information on how to do that as well. Another great legal resource is The Contract Shop. You can get pre-made contracts, terms and conditions, plus great business advive for basically any type of business, like coaching, blogging, photography. Click here to head to the contract shop.
3. Get your mindset in order. Work on any blocks that came up around starting your business when you did step 1. Any negative beliefs that popped up for you. Maybe you internally said things like “Who am I to be doing this?”, “What will my family think?” “Do I really have what it takes?”. Running a business is hella hard, but it is even harder when you are coming at it from a place of having a shitty mindset. Some quick things you can do daily are to brain dump, clear your mind of all of the things that are spinning around in there and just get them onto a piece of paper. You can also journal, which I find very helpful. I like to journal about my ideal day in my business, what ‘Best Self Tori’ looks like and that helps me step into that role and ignore a lot of negativity that comes my way.
4. Map out your online presence. Are you going to build a website? If you are (which you should and if you want to DIY your own website, click here and read my post on how to create your own website), how are you going to drive traffic there. What is your funnel going to look like? Are you pushing for more email sign ups? Do you want to funnel people into a FaceBook Group and sell from there? Quick tip: Figure out where the people who need your help the most are hanging out online and spend your time there too, building connections and learning what type of support and structure they need when it comes to your service.
5. Start selling. Whether you are selling done-for-you services, you decided to freelance, drop ship, or start your own coaching business you need to get out there and start selling. Once you have mapped out your online presence. This will be so much easier, so start showing up, sharing your story. Be consistent. Don’t sweat it if your first idea doesn’t work out. Online entrepreneurs hardly ever get it right on the first try. Part of running your own online business is trial and error.
Grab my FREE Business Plan Template to help you kickstart the growth of your business!
Click the button below to grab it for free!
Thanks for reading my post, if you are looking to start your own business, or are already in business, I would love to have you in my FB Community where I host trainings, and hop in there and give advice. Click here to join the Biz + Mindset Maven Society